Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How Yoga Works.....shows you how yoga works....go figure

First I must say I am not through with How Yoga Works yet but pretty close. I can still give you an opinion of the book overall (at least as far as I have read it). It has taught me so much about the inside of yoga because before this class, I never knew it was so involved. I have taken a yoga course here and even went to a session at 24 Hour Fitness once but neither of those experience gave me as much as this book.  I honestly didn’t know that yoga was a taboo for Christian until this class which is funny because reading this book makes me feel like doing yoga is a way to be a better Christian (cause my practice in that is seriously lacking). How Yoga works is one of the very few BIC books I will keep and read again and again (that hasn’t happen since Cultures II).  The thing is I can’t remember the sutras mention off the top of my head but I do remember the captain working them out. The pen that is also a snack will forever be in my mind. In a way I feel grateful toward the book and glad that is was the first because it lets you know what you are getting yourself into if you want to pursue yoga seriously. It lets you know that there is more to it than the poses but also let you know that the poses are very necessary (knocking form the outside before you work on the inside).  Which makes perfect since if you are doing yoga and it makes your body feel better then I feel like you would be more open to seeing what else yoga can do for you. I don’t want to ramble on and on about how much I am in like with this book but I really do like it. It is not a best seller (well not in New York best seller way) but I can sit and be lost in it like any other good book I read; mainly because it teaches you so much about yoga, life, and the people living both. I think anyone who has these” yoga can make you levitate” thoughts should read this book just because they do. I also feel that anyone thinking about pursuing or persecuting yoga should also read this book just so you know what you are getting yourself into and what you are condemning. Basically the title got it right….the books teaches you how and why yoga works and how you can get it to work for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment