Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"Move your buttocks flesh down". "Really? Can it do that"?


So my practice last week was okay not sweat and tear wrenching like the week before but I did it so there. I did notice that I corrected myself more than I did anything else and I know that doing a pose right means doing it wrong a number of times but not when your instructor told you a number of time how to do it right. So I find myself when I am practicing or when I am bored outside of practice saying “spine lengthen, ribs in, feet together ankles apart, engage your quadriceps muscles, make your feet like leaves and move your buttocks flesh down”.
I will admit moving my ribs in does make me stand taller and engaging my quadriceps make more aware of my legs and what they are or are not doing; but I cannot get my buttock flesh to go down. I seriously don’t know if my buttock flesh knows it can go down…..I have tried planting the see but it is lying dormant. Then I started thinking “well maybe your buttock flesh is already down and you just want something significant to happen but it won’t”. So I stood in front of the mirror sideways and tried to see the difference between up and down. It sounds funny now but I did and still do on occasions. Even after all the talk about when others say they want to do it right and you encourage them and say at least you are doing it. When you were telling others it was easy for me to agree with you because….well I wasn’t practicing at home (so I saw the big deal in at least attempting to do the routine). Well now I see what the other students talking about when they express their concern on “doing it wrong”. It just feels like a waste of time if I am doing downward facing dog but the dog is too short. Not that my dog is short (that is the one pose I feel okay in). I realized that I am one of those people who need structure when I am doing something solely on my own and at least an outline when I am following someone. I am doing my poses and I do most of the standing ones and I have issues trying to incorporate the sitting or lying or back bending ones. I need to make up a routine where in move flows into the other. I know there is a form of yoga that does that because it was the form we followed in the HP I took here. I am rambling now so I will stop but the point is my practice was plague with the virtii of “is my buttock flesh down and what move should I do next”?

2 comments:

  1. the vritti of buttock flesh is one that I share. I'll show you a couple things to help with it in class

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am random.....I realize this now.....apologies

    ReplyDelete