Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How Do Kleshas work into How Yoga Works

This should be super easy because there are a ton of examples of selfishness, ignorance, ego, attachment to pleasure, aversion to pain and fear of death cling to life but I am drawing a blank of a specific example that I want to talk about. I feel like the sergeant however houses a good number of afflictions. 

Friday, the teacher, is a prime example of what it looks like to not have these affliction lead your life.

Okay I am sorry I have read up to 30 but I cannot get over Friday taking a beating for the Sergeant after the Sergeant beat her to the point of not being able to stand. I could not do……so I suppose it is the sense of “I” or lack thereof Friday has. So the night she ran from the Sergeant because he came to the old lady house and the next day the Captain actually believed she “escape” pissed me off to no end. However, even though she knew it were a lie…that the Captain should have know it was a lie and didn’t so he punishes her by making her stay in the jail again; but she still continue to teach him Yoga earnestly teach it. There was no sense of “I” there, no attachment to pleasure (in this case that pleasure would have been food and the ability to wash), or lack of wisdom on her part. When the Sergeant was once again drunk and came after her…then beat her when she wouldn’t move and the next day the Captain saw it and was going to punish the Sergeant but she protected him with her body……another example of lack of the sense  of “I” and lack of aversion to pain. Anyway this blog was probably pointless but since that scene is stuck in my head for the rest of the book I will probably keep referring back to it because Friday is the personification of what doing Yoga really looks like and up until this part in the book (Yoga true yoga didn’t seem that difficult).

2 comments:

  1. That part of the book really stuck out to me as well. I thought I was a fairly selfless person, but Friday makes me feel like I have a ton of work to do! She really does express a lack of "I" in everything she does. It looks we all have some work to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes....yes we do and sometimes I am not quite sure I am up to the task yet.

    ReplyDelete