Friday, October 21, 2011

Waking: Yoga, Bodies, and Baby Boys

Before I start his blog I want to say, I want to read the book again. Actually I want to read the book at least two more times. The next time I read it I want to pay closer attention to the silence he refers to throughout the book and the third time I read it I want to just enjoy it as a piece of literature.

This blog will be significantly shorter than the other ones because well I don’t have much to say about it. I think it is funny and cute that his beginning experiences with yoga reminded me of How Yoga Works. The one on one practice with the teacher…the practicing at home…..the learning about the flow of energy and how that flow works in different poses….but mostly the breaking of the femur because for some reason he and the Captain thought they could achieve the benefits of yoga quicker if they held their poses longer. I also want to point out that he stills refers to what the doctor told him as a child (the feeling in his legs wasn’t real) but this time struggling and succeeded to overcome that mindset.  This is going to sound horrible but after part one and two this section of the book seems anti-climactic. Even the labor scene seemed lacking, happy, and not as traumatic as the first 2/3 of the book.  Over all it was a wonderful book and reinforces my idea that yoga helps everything if you practice it whole heartedly. I just realized, this is the first section neither his mom nor his brother is mention. Maybe that is why it feels different. I know I should probably talk about the inspirations in this part of the book but I can’t. It is strange; this book basically has a happy ending. After everything he has been force to deal with Matt has found his purpose in life and he has a loving wife and beautiful son to share his life with and I want more. I need something else to make this story finished.  Which makes me realized I wouldn’t be able to hear the man yelling on the back of the elephant. Obviously he is happy and at peace and still working through things but I want another break down on the side of the road. I don’t know maybe I am being a pessimist… …maybe my lack of yoga practice is showing through but a happy ending is some much easier for me to except when I know the story is fictional. This bodes horrible for my future if I don’t change because all I want to be when I grow up is happy.  This is another reason I want to read the book again.....I am hoping if I read it in a continuous flow then I will be more appreciative of the end(you know if the beginning is fresh on my mind).

No comments:

Post a Comment